ENERGY STAR Changes and Clarifications
Version 2.5 and 3
After extensive consideration, EPA is adjusting the overall implementation timeline of the ENERGY STAR for Homes program requirements and two specific items related to HVAC design. EPA believes that these changes will position the program for greater success in the long-term and better achieve its market transformation goals. Specific changes include the following:
- While all homes permitted on or after January 1, 2012 must still be built to the Version 3 requirements, EPA is allowing homes permitted in 2011 to continue to be qualified under the transitional Version 2.5 guidelines through June 30, 2012. Previously, homes permitted in 2011, but completed on or after January 1, 2012 would have also been required to be labeled using the Version 3 guidelines.
- On the HVAC System Quality Installation Contractor Checklist, for homes with final inspection dates through 12/31/2012, loads and room-level design airflows shall be permitted to be calculated for the configuration that will result in the largest load when a house plan is built with multiple configurations (e.g., orientations, elevations, options).
- On the HVAC System Quality Installation Rater Checklist, for homes with a final inspection date through 12/31/2012, Item 1.2.1 is permitted to be within +/- 5 degrees of the 1% and 99% ACCA Manual J design temperatures for the contractor-designated design location. In addition, for each house plan with multiple configurations (e.g., orientations, elevations, options), the Rater shall confirm that the parameters listed in Items 1.2.2 - 1.2.6 are aligned with either: the rated home, or with the plans for the configuration used to calculate the loads, as provided by the contractor.
- On the HVAC System Quality Installation Rater Checklist, homes with a final inspection date through 12/31/2012 are permitted to be qualified without enforcement of the pressure-balancing requirement in Item 2.8.
- Current Policy Record (29KB) — This document is a record of the policy issues that have been received since the release of the last revision to the program documents, Revision 04, or were previously received and have not been resolved. These issues are either pending resolution by EPA or have been resolved, sometimes resulting in modifications that will be incorporated into the next revision of the program documents. This document will be updated on a regular basis and was last updated on August 29, 2011.
- Archive of Policy Record (316KB) — This document is identical to the Active Policy Record, except that it contains all policy issues that were resolved upon release of Revision 04, rather than issues that are active. This document will be updated on a regular basis and was last updated on August 29, 2011.
Revisions to Program Documents
- Revision 04 Tracking Document (159KB) — This document is a summary of the edits released on August 29, 2011 to the Revision 03 documents. EPA has also created a document which contains the Revision 04 highlights (52KB).
- Revision 03 Tracking Document (23KB) — On March 25, 2011, EPA modified the implementation timeline to allow homes permitted before April 1, 2011 to be qualified under Version 2 until December 31, 2011. No other changes were included in this Revision.
- Revision 02 Tracking Document (883KB) — This document is a summary of the edits released on February 7, 2011 to the Revision 01 documents
- December 1, 2010 Update (49KB) — EPA modified the treatment of basements as it relates to Benchmark Home Size and the Size Adjustment Factor in Version 2.5 and Version 3 (Revision 01) as well as the implementation dates for Version 2.5. Note that these changes have been formally incorporated into the Revision 02 program documents.
- Revision 01 Tracking Document (68KB) — This document is a summary of the edits released on October 18, 2010 to the original Version 3 program documents released on April 08, 2010.